Help Getting an iPad
Before you start—-RESEARCH (devices, APPs, accessories=cost)
- Self-pay is one way to secure a device. Here are some ideas to make it possible:
- *Have bank automatically deduct funds from your account
- *Home Party (Cookie Lee Jewelry, Longaberger, Pampered Chef, Tastefully Simple, ..)
- *Ask family and friends to give birthday/holiday gifts as iTunes cards
- *Businesses offering percentage for your cause.
- *Community outreach—local newspapers & TV stations
- *Local charities (Boy Scouts, church groups, fraternal organizations, VFW…)
- *Garage Sale (Don’t have items to sell, get great items you can sell at craigslist.org in the FREE section and www.freecycle.org.)
- Earn it
*Setting up an account for your individual child and forward site to family and friends. They can donate or purchase items for your cause.
- thepuzzlingpiece.com sell 60 items you are mailed a new iPad
- Lots of Raffles and Giveaways
*Deadlines always changing and they usually raise funds and then give an iPad. Keep checking back!!!
- Medical Coverage for iPads and/or APPs
*Check your insurance policy’s coverage for DME(durable medical equipment), many carriers do not cover a SGD (speech generated device) that is designed to provide other functions. -Laptops, desktop computer, PDAs and iPads. Guided Access is now making it possible to get iPads covered.
* Bulking device, protective case and APPs together for a full package.
***Use language pertinent to the funding source***
- Medical– stress the “therapeutic nature” of the need and “medical necessity” of device
- Educational– stress “academic achievement” and “educational goals”
- Vocational– stress “self-sufficiency” goals and potential
- Writing Assistive Technology into the IEP
****Describe the AT with features needed, NOT by the name of the specific device.
****Assistive Tech Eval—bring your own device to show benefits
- GRANTS—application process that usually requires denial of payment from another source, such as insurance. Each has their own specific guidelines and deadlines.
- andrewsgift26.com Pennsylvania residents in Dauphin, Cumberland & Perry Counties
- daniellesfoundation.org must have Cerebral Palsy or brain injury
- dannyswish.org –any age, non verbal with ASD
- hannahandfriends.org live in FL, IN, RI, or NY
- itaalk.org must have ASD
- jakeshelpfromheaven.org must live within 100 miles of Saratoga Springs, NY
- jasmynnsvoice.org non verbal children with autism in SE Michigan
- paigesprincessrun.com must live within 100 miles Cincinnati, OH
- silentstars.org iPads for Apraxia
- thegsf.org/campaigns/detail/projectmariposa/ -anyone in the world with spinal muscular atrophy
- zanesfoundation.org NE Ohio residents
*GRANTS for APPs